Monday, May 7, 2012

JC Watts, Hubris and Heritage

I read an interview of former congressman J.C. Watts on BCNN today. There were two threads in the interview I want to follow. One is the idea that praise is seductive.

It's intoxicating in the back of the church when you're shaking hands and people say "Thank you for coming" and "That was such a wonderful message" if you're not fighting that and keeping the focus where it should be--on God's word.

I have disagreed with Mr. Watts on many things, but he's right on in this case.

Praise, affirmation and approval are important, even essential. We are hard-wired to seek healthy, supportive, affirming relationships. There's no sane person that doesn't want to feel valued and appreciated. But like food and sex, two other basic needs of life, healthy approval can lead to unhealthy narcissism when taken in excess. Not too long ago I was at a gospel event, and the facilitator asked us to greet one another. As I was making the rounds, I approached a guy and said, "How you doin, brother?" He looked at me and corrected, "Minister". Really? I wanted to tell him he could be my brother and a minister, but I quickly decided it wasn't worth the effort. I've been in churches where I see 'ministers' don black robes every Sunday, sit on the front row, go out into the aisle when the preacher gives the call to discipleship...

And that's all they do. At least that's all I see them do. I would never claim to have the inside scoop on the legitimacy of anyone else's calling. I have my hands full just trying to understand my own. But IMHO it seems like there are some charlatans in the house who are motivated more by the desire for affirmation and approval than the desire and calling to do G-d's will. And we see it manifesting in the nauseating litany of church scandals that litter the headlines.

OK, J.C. I'm with you on that point. But then you kinda threw me with this:

 I often felt like the outsider looking in with Republicans. Maybe I spend too much time thinking about it, but next time you turn to Christian television, watch T.D. Jakes or Tony Evans or other black pastors: You can't get to the right of those pastors theologically, on life, on marriage, on economics, but 90 percent of their population votes for the other guy. They don't vote for the conservative Republican candidate. Why?
Well, brother (I can call you brother, can't I?) let's see... American conservatives have historically been:

  • Pro-slavery
  • Pro-segregation
  • Anti civil rights
  • Anti affirmative action
  • Anti diversity
So despite some common ground on social issues, there's a mountain of historical baggage conservatives will have to wade through before Black support increases.

One other thing: Coming together is a beautiful thing, but why do some people feel that in order to 'come together' WE have to check our heritage at the door? It seems to me we should be celebrating the wonderful things G-d has done for our people, every chance we get. Every now and then it's good to sing those old songs that kept grandma gettin up, and paving the way for the opportunities we take for granted. To disavow ourselves of that rich legacy is the highest form of ingratitude. And then we wonder why our children act like they've lost their minds. We have a story the world wants to hear. Needs to hear. And yet many of us seem  ashamed of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment